Saturday 31 August 2013

August is for... seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

 
Where I live, winter says goodbye in such a spectacular way- the roadsides and bushland are lit up by gorgeous golden wattle flowers. The show starts in July and by the end of winter the glow is a heartwarming promise of spring.



I love native plants, and have been learning more about them over the last 6 years of my environmental horticulture degree. My inner botanist has come out this year, and I've decided I'd like to know which species are lighting up my world. That's right, they're not all the same! I remember the days of thinking a wattle is a wattle, and recently realising there are hundreds of Acacias right under my nose has sparked my curiosity.


The differences between species are usually found in the number, location and shape of features such as flowers, glands and phyllodes (almost leaves but not quite!).The trick with identifying Acacia species is that they can be difficult to tell apart when they're not flowering, so it has to be done while all their fluffy flower heads are on show. But I work full time, and study in my 'free' time, so I know I'm not going to get around to naming them within the next month or so. 

I think it was my older sister who showed me how to press flowers in phone books when I was young, and I found it fascinating to preserve flowers to keep. My botany teacher thought it was a bit unorthodox, but he didn't complain about the pressed specimens I handed in for assignments (real botanists use presses that you can pack with layers and tighten with straps, but I'm still very much an amateur!).

Luckily my new job has a focus on local native plants and a bookcase full of great information (it's plant nerd paradise!) so I have been cutting off pieces along the roadside and taking them in for some help, before bringing them home to find a place in my phone book. Some have been easy, some will have to wait until I have time to have a closer look, but so far I have collected flowers from about 22 species. And there are still more that haven't come into flower yet! And yes, I do get some strange looks from other motorists when stopping suddenly on the highway and jumping out into the bushes, secateurs in hand. I tell myself Joseph Banks would understand.


Now the tricky question is- which ones do I have room for in my little garden?

 My choice would have to be the lovely Acacia decora, a pretty little weepy shrub growing to about 1.5 metres. Or Acacia amblygona... the scrambling wattle, with its prickly little leaves for wrens and finches to hide in. Or maybe both. We will have to see how much room we have... that carport will have to go, sooner or later...

And now for a bit of self-indulgence, a selection of photos from around my garden this month. I've been trying out my new macro lens and it's a joy to work with, especially with all the lovely spring buds just beginning to burst. Enjoy!

                            Native everlasting (probably Helichrysum bracteata, I don't remember!)

Broad bean 'Aquadulce' 
 
Lemonade flowers

Purple sage

Snow peas

Tuscan kale or cavolo nero

                                                       Leptospermum 'Cardwell'

Kangaroo paw Anigozanthos 'Bush diamond'

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shelomi,
    The macro shots are awesome, love the pink daisyish one! What is the greeny-grey knobbly leaved one? (Not the sage, the other one!)
    Your Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've put some captions on the photos so you know who you're looking at! xx

    ReplyDelete